Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Pitch...

Week two, episode 2. 

There is something about A Pitch for the Angels that doesn't afford me the same excitement that Michael has for the episode. I guess I appreciate the self-sacrifice moral of the story. Though is it really self-sacrifice if you're the cause, which, if we accept the "Mr. Death" premise, then we have to accept that Lou's bargaining is directly responsible for the little girl getting hit by the car. 

I'm also torn when it comes to my feelings about the last pitch. I understand that it was meant to be a classic catch-22. If Lou gives a pitch good enough to distract Mr. Death until after midnight, he will have saved the girl while forfeiting his own life by completing the earlier bargain. Of course, Lou chooses to do the right thing. However, I couldn't help but feel that it was also saying that consumers/customers are not able to think for themselves in the face of thin yet persuasive advertising (pitches) - even ones that don't necessarily rest in truth. 

Overall, this was just an okay episode for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment