Monday, January 7, 2013

There is a fifth dimension...

beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.


Season 1, episode 1: Where Is Everybody?

Agreed, gang, 'Where Is Everybody?' was a great way to kick off the series. And as Ben wrote, it establishes many of the key themes we'll find as we work our way through this fine activity.

My brother Jeff and I decided to watch the Twilight Zone in sequential order this time last year (minus season 4, which still isn't up on NWI). Up until that point, like many of y'all, I had only seen various episodes here and there. Now that I have completed multiple seasons of the show, I can't wait to get to some of my favorites.

I know Jason and Ben feel pretty confidant about living in isolation (if they had books and ice cream around them). I don't know that I could say the same. I'd probably break down after a couple of hours...and I love alone time as much as the next hermit. The "Omega Man" scenario, as I'll refer to it, seems pretty terrifying to me. And I'm not sure that I could relax and read if the only book around was The Last Man on Earth...unless it's got some helpful tic-tac-toe tips.

When I saw this episode last year, I had a feeling that the main character was undergoing some sort of government simulation, but I thought it was more for military purposes. The post-nuclear vibe of the abandoned town certainly leads you in that direction, so it's cool that the end of the episode deals with the other important aspect of the Cold War--the Space Race.The 50s and 60s certainly were a time that seemed to rest between "the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge." The Twilight Zone came at the perfect time, and should be regarded as one of the greatest television shows ever made.

Additional notes:

*Good stuff from Michael about TZ's "major plot workhorses." The Twilight Zone, like other great shows, offers plenty of rewards for those who pay close attention. 

*Many of my nightmares/hallucinations involve me yelling for hashbrowns with no one around to cook them for me. It's frightening.

*I love the shot revealing the cigarette in the police station. Very eerie and exciting stuff.

*It's pretty cool that Rod Serling was born in Syracuse and grew up in Binghamton. If memory serves, Binghamton is even mentioned in an upcoming episode that takes place at a bus station. I have a massive amount of respect and admiration for Serling; too bad the same cannot be said of Binghamton. What a shit hole.

*I can't wait to watch the season 5 episode 'An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge.'  I know we've got a long way to go, so maybe I'll just watch it on my own soon; I have yet to see it, and I hear great things. Is that your favorite ep., Ben?

*There are definite duds out there, but I really can't recall any terrible, god-awful episodes. I think...

*Many people give JFK credit for the U.S. landing a man on the moon, but I think Twilight Zone fans know better, it was all Earl Holliman, baby!

*I would love to see some of the old commercials that aired in the 50s and 60s, as well, John. I had that thought once while watching Mad Men. I think it would be cool for companies to do.

*"It's like something out of that twilight-y show about that zone." - Homer Simpson (Tree House of Horror VI, Homer3)

1 comment:

  1. Nope, the episode to which I'm referring is "I Am the Night - Color Me Black."

    ReplyDelete